Cold weather tips
Top tips on how to protect your home for winter.
- Keep an eye out for severe weather warnings that could affect your neighbourhood. See the Met Office live weather warnings for up to date information.
- Check if your home is at risk of flooding and what you can do to prepare for a flood.
- Insulating your water pipes will protect them from freezing, bursting and flooding your home. Take a look at Water UK's advice on how to keep your pipes frost free.
- Keep warm and well - your living room or where you sit should be 21 degrees and your bedroom or where you sleep should be 18 degrees. It’s a good idea to heat your home for one hour every day, even when you’re away. It helps keep things running smoothly.
- It’s important to keep your eye on your boiler pressure. The pressure gauge on the front of your boiler or underneath, it should be about one bar.
- In very bad conditions, avoid driving completely, unless you absolutely have to make the journey.