With increasing property prices, many people cannot afford to buy a property outright and are finding it a struggle to get onto the property ladder. We provide an opportunity to purchase a new home through Shared Ownership.
What is Shared Ownership?
It’s a government backed scheme designed to give first-time buyers, and people who are unable to buy a property outright, the opportunity to step on to the property ladder by purchasing a share in a new home.
Shared Ownership is a part rent/part buy scheme, meaning you pay a mortgage on the share of the property that you own and pay a monthly rent to us on the remaining share.
Because of this, the amount of money needed for a deposit is a lot lower than if you were buying a property outright, making it more affordable.
Am I eligible for Shared Ownership
To purchase a property through Shared Ownership, you need to ensure you are eligible.
There are certain criteria you must meet:
- You must be at least 18 years old
- Your overall household income must not exceed £80,000
- You cannot own another property at the time of completion of your shared ownership property. If you already own another property, you must be in the process of selling it at the time of applying for your shared ownership property.
- You must not be able to purchase a suitable property outright on the open market
- In some instances, a local connection may apply, i.e. you need to live or work in the area
- You must not be in mortgage or rent arrears.
For more information on Shared Ownership you can contact our dedicated sales team on 0845 618 5008 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or see what shared ownership properties we have for sale currently here.
If you are an existing shared ownership customer, you have the option to purchase additional shares in your home, with the aim of eventually owning your property outright. This process is known as ‘staircasing’. For more information on this process, click here.