We cover the buildings insurance for your home but you’re responsible, under the terms of your tenancy, for insuring your contents. It’s always a good idea to shop around for a policy that’ll give you the cover you need. 

Why do I need contents insurance? 

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind should the worst happen.

It is up to you who you choose based on your own personal needs, however we have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks, a company that provides the ‘My Home’ contents insurance especially for tenants. All those living in social or affordable housing are eligible to apply. 


My Home Contents Insurance 

My Home provides cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments. 

Why choose My Home? 
  • There are flexible pay-as-you-go payment options (fortnightly and monthly premiums include a transaction charge). 
  • There’s no excess to pay (you don’t pay the first part of the claim). 
  • You can apply over the phone or complete an application form. 
  • It covers theft, water damage, fire and many more household risks. 
  • It covers any home improvements you make (up to £2,000 or 20 percent of the sum insured, whichever is the greatest). 
  • It covers theft or attempted theft of contents in sheds, outbuildings and garages (up to £3,000). 
  • It covers damage to external glazing (for which you’re responsible). 
  • It covers replacement of locks for outside doors, windows and alarms, if the keys are lost or stolen. 
  • You don’t need to have special door or window locks (just a lockable front door). 
Who is this policy for? 

My Home content insurance has been designed to meet the demands and needs of social housing residents. The provider, Thistle Tenant Risks, have approached a single insurer, Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited.  

The cover is subject to the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions contained in thePolicy Wording, which you should read carefully. The premiums and payment methods available are shown on the rate card. Please note fortnightly and monthly premiums include a transaction change.

If you’re unsure whether this insurance policy is right for you, contact Thistle Tenant Risks, who’ll be happy to help with your questions. 

How do I apply or find out more? 

To apply for My Home contents insurance, complete an application form or call Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7288. For more information, go to the Thistle website. Before completing the application form, please take a look at the Thistle Insurance Services Terms of Business Agreement and Insurance Product Information Document.  

These documents give you important information about the policy and your rights. Please note that all Thistle Tenant Risks’ business is arranged on a non-advised basis. This means you’ll be given the information you need to make an informed decision on what cover best suits your needs. 

What if I have a complaint? 

It is always the intention of Thistle to give you the best possible service. If you have any concerns about this insurance or the handling of a claim, you should follow their complaints procedure. 

A copy of Thistle Insurance Services complaints procedure is available on request. For additional information, view their complaints page. 

Thistle Home Contents Insurance Flyer

The National Housing Federation works in partnership with Thistle Insurance Services Ltd. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority Firm Reference Number 310419. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group. 

View the Thistle Insurance Services Ltd Data Protection Privacy Policy.