If your needs change and you’re finding it difficult to manage at home, we can help. There are a range of aids and adaptations that can be introduced to your home to enable you to live as independently and safely as possible.

How can you help me?

For minor adaptations 

Minor adaptations describes any work that don’t significantly alter the structure of your home, and typically cost less than £1,000. Some examples include grab rails, banister rails, half height steps, lever taps, key safes and adjustments to door handles.

To request a minor adaptation, contact us on 0345 345 0272 or 01925 592485, or email [email protected]


For major adaptations 

Major adaptations describes any work to your home that costs more than £1,000. For this type of work, you’ll need to contact your local council and ask for an assessment by an occupational therapist. They will visit your home to determine what changes are needed. You won’t have to pay for this assessment. 

For a major adaptation, you’ll need to seek funding to pay for it. You can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) through your local council 

Examples of major adaptations include wet rooms, level access showers, over bath showers, ramps, stair lifts, specialist baths and door intercom systems. 

If your application for a grant is unsuccessful, we may, in exceptional circumstances, consider match funding or funding the whole cost of the adaptation.  

If you’re in rent arrears, you may be asked to make an agreement to pay off your arrears.  


What’s the process for arranging a major adaptation?

  • Step 1
    We receive an occupational therapist report. We’ll write to you within 10 working days to confirm we’ve received it. 
  • Step 2
    We’ll contact you to talk about your needs and the options available. This will happen within 10 working days of sending the letter in step 1.
  • Step 3
    We’ll carry out a survey and obtain quotes. Once received, all quotes will be sent over to your local council for them to process the disabled facilities grant funding.
  • Step 4
    Once the disabled facilities grant has been approved and the adaptations team have been notified, you’ll receive a letter to tell you which contractor will be carrying out the work.
  • Step 5
    Once the work is completed, we’ll ask you to complete a short survey to tell us all about it. This will help us to keep improving our services.


Are there any reasons why my home couldn’t be adapted? 

An adaptation would be refused if:   

  • You’re living in the property on a temporary basis 
  • The property is leased by us from a ‘head landlord’ (in this situation the request will be referred to the head landlord) 
  • The adaptation isn’t for you or a member of your household  
  • The need hasn’t been identified by an occupational therapist   
  • Your home is in disrepair or scheduled to be demolished  
  • It’s not physically possible to alter the property in the required way
  • The adaptation would have an adverse impact on other residents  
  • it doesn’t meet all planning and building regulation requirements, would present a health and safety risk, or there are legal or contractual reasons which prevent us from carrying out the adaptation.
  • where you’re seeking to be rehoused, have made a right to buy/acquire application or other circumstances that would nullify the benefit of adapting the property.  

If you choose to move from your adapted home, we wouldn’t be able to carry out further adaptations to your new home. This wouldn’t apply if we had to move you from your adapted home.   


Are there any changes that wouldn’t be granted by YHG? 

We wouldn’t be able to fund the following: 

  • Portable equipment including WC seats, walking/toileting aids, portable shower seats, induction loops, portable heating, or lighting etc 
  • Assistive technology 
  • Removing adaptations unless requested by an occupational therapist (OT) 
  • Scooter store/electric point for scooters/ramps for electric scooters  
  • Level access showers would not be replaced with a bath unless requested by an OT 
  • Fitting over-bath showers, unless requested by an OT 
  • Additional parking facilities – disabled parking spaces are arranged through your local council 
  • Creating more than one entrance to a property   
  • Landscaping (unless essential for access purposes)  
  • Major adaptations to an upper floor flat, which is not served by a passenger lift  
  • Decoration following minor adaptations  
  • Home extension or loft conversion
  • Through floor lift if property is under occupied.

If we’re unable to make the changes you need – for example, if it would affect the structure or safety of your home, we’ll help you find another suitable home.  


View our Adaptations Policy

Download our Aids & adaptations guide